Inspired by my good friend John Wilker, I thought I'd put together some random thoughts on 2014. In no particular order, here they are:
- Patent Pending may move into my "Favorite Band" spot. Their music is clever and fun. When performing they choose energy over technical prowess, but I really don't mind. I imagine it hard to sing well while you're jumping around like a jackrabbit on speed whose fur is on fire.
- I took a vacation to Yellowstone park and proved I can have a good time while not working.
- A big thanks goes out to all of DotComIt's clients who keep me busy. I currently have a few consistent clients which is great on the cash flow, but not so great on fulfilling the Entrepreneurial urges.
- I released a training course on AngularJS early in the year; and then updated it later in the year to include an extra book on NodeJS. I still sell a few "pay what you want" copies each month, but the upper tiers have all but been forgotten since the initial launch. For whatever reason, I have failed and pushing folks through a sales funnel. I really thought the six hours of Angular screencasts would be appealing; but perhaps it is not communicated well enough.
- I play Bloon Monkey City almost every day, because everyone needs a brainless casual game to give their mind time to work.
- I was performing an Edwin McCain song in my office and my wife said I sounded good; which is the second nicest thing she has ever said to me music-wise. Remind me to be nicer to her.
- I reviewed 16 games for Just Adventure. That means I reviewed one third of the games they reviewed games this year. Holy Carp! I didn't realize I was that big of a contributor. The site has changed a lot since I started writing reviews for them in 2009; and a lot of my older reviews are no longer on the site. It bums me out a bit. Check out the 2014 year in review over there. I wrote the non-game parts; and edited the game parts.
- Since ending The Flex Show, John and I don't chat nearly as much. I miss it. I gotta figure out how to use Google Hangouts at some point. I should see all of my friends more, but life gets in the way.
- Speaking of Entrepreneurial drive; I'm working on creating a dirty card game. I have no idea if I have a good balance of naughty and entertaining or it just vulgar and offensive. I should get my first prototype today.
- One of my songs was put on a community coder's compilation. I chose a song from my February Album Writing Month set that I liked. Speaking of which I wrote and recorded 19 songs for February Album Writing Month. Near the end of the year I started writing songs w/ Shadow. My songwriting is all mathematical while she is very artsy. It has been an interesting experience.
- I made it another year without updating this blog's design or my company site. I really gotta do that.
- I supported a bunch of PledgeMusic campaigns. Some people do it better than others. I'm really excited for Ryan Hamilton's album; especially since he promised us a full set of demos for the album. I eat that stuff up. Compare that to Guster whose presale prices are higher than I would expect suggested retail price to be. It is just one more time in recent years I feel like Guster is trying to rip off their biggest fans. I seem to be the only one indifferent to People On Vacation's release. It's an album I keep listening to because I don't get it and want to hear the brilliance everyone else hears. I think some of the songs are great, but the production feels like a glorified demo and not of professional quality. Sometimes I complain too much.
There are my random thoughts. Happy 2015 Everyone!